Thursday, April 26, 2007

Which one's Trudi? The one with all the shit in her face?

(Tim) Hello again. We are waiting for our flight to Athens, so I've decided to kill some time and blog again. So I apologize if this is boring, it's just that not much has happened since yesterday. I also want to apologize for the paragraph structure on this page that I can't seem to figure out. When I double-space after sentences and indent for new paragraphs, it shows up in my window, but then publishes everything crammed together. Oh well, nothing an email to blogger.com won't fix. So for now, I'll just skip a line for a new paragraph, or more accurately, where I think there should be a new paragraph because I know squat about writing (see past blogs).

So Tim and Tom hit a bit of a wall today in Vienna. It was supposed to be our big sightseeing day, but it turned out to be our big sit-on-our-asses-and-do-jack-shit day. We started out with guns blazing per usual, and a few hours in I declared that I was over Austria. Tom concurred and we headed back to the hostel common room because we don't have a room for the night. We're staying at a really cool hostel called Wombats, like the animal. Don't know what a wombat is? Never fear, Tom to the rescue. Excerpt from the other day:
Tim, holding up the towel he bought with the wombats logo on it (hint: it' a wombat): Hey, this is a pretty cool towel."
Tom, dead serious: "What's that? A hippo?"
But anyway, it's a highly recommended hostel. By far the best on the Journey to date.

Back to the Austrians. I get the feeling that holdups here don't involve knives. Considering half the population has a bull ring, nose ring, lip ring, eyebrow ring, or all of the above, I feel they would be relatively unphased by a sharp object near their face. Better stick to guns. Just like every other time in life. Just an interesting observation that both of us have mentioned on several occasions. Not particularily interesting to those reading this, perhaps, but fortunately I don't care.

So I feel as though we didn't do Vienna justice. Sorry Vienna. Actually, I did go for a serious stroll around town while Tom retired to the nerdery to tie up some Med School loose ends. The old part of the city has a loop around it called the Ring. I took a stroll around it and found it quite pleasant. Hopefully I won't die in seven days. If I did, it so wouldn' be worth it. There are a million museums, none of which were conquered by Tim and Tom. That's just how cultured we are, kiddies. That's not to say we haven't enjoyed our stay here, however. Today on our walk we walked through a museum quad with lots of sun bathers and relaxers. Now keep in mind that the rest of the world has a more laid-back attitude toward things like alchol, for example. An open container policy allows for things like three girls playing a drinking game by throwing a crushed can at a row of empty cans and then pounding their 20-ounce beer before setting them up and doing it again. All of this in front of hundreds of people enjoying some sun in the park at noon on Thursday. Some things America just cannot provide.

So our travels in Vienna were rather passive, but we gave it the ol' college try. For now we're off to the airport and have done all we can. So long Vienna, and thanks for all the wurst.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Tim and Tom, I'm greatly enjoying the posts. I'm thinking Rick Steves could have a little competition from you two. You're also bringing back a lot of good memories of past Europe trips: the constant presence of ice cream, renting a car only to discover that only one person can actually drive stick, the constant fear of getting hit by a car when you're in a "drive on the left" country. Keep up the good work.