Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tom's view of Ireland

This is Tom. Greatest country ever. I think it's the people. So I'll apologize now for all the typos, spelling errors, and run on sentences. As Tim has described in great detail, we've been touring around Ireland. Sorry if any of this overlaps with what he says, but he's typing next to me and I havent read what he's written. We got into Shannon at 6am local time on Sunday. For our trip to blarney, a town called Kinsale, and then to the Dingle Penninsula, we had been up for about 48 hours. This fact, along with the new art of driving on the wrong side of the road, made all traveling quite interesting. Also, Tim apparently learned his right from left as a child by knowing that the driver is always on the left. Now that the driver is on the right, Tim does not know his right from left in the car. Here is an excerpt from the car in the middle of bustling Dublin last night...
(Tim with map, Tom driving)
Tom: Where do I go
Timmy: Left at the next street
Tom: OK
Timmy: Left here....left! What are you doing, LEFT!!!!!
(Tom turns left)
Timmy: You moron, I said left.
Tom: I did go left you jackass
Timmy: Oh yeah, I meant right.

So now we have "lefts" and "real lefts" while driving. Tim will say, turn left, and I will ask, a left, or a real left?
So back to our trip. Blarney Castle was really cool. And as I know Tim has told you, he loves ancient architecture, so not only did I get to see this beautiful castle, but I also was enlightened with 100 great facts on the Great Pyramids from Timmy here. Fantastic! We then drove through Cork which is where my grandma's parents were from. Then we headed to the Dingle Penninsula. 50 pubs for a population of 1500 people. The way we figured, there were more barstools in the town than there were people. We biked around the Penninsula on Monday. A nice leisurely 30mile bike ride according to the guide book we have. Yeah, maybe leisurely for Lance Armstrong. We nearly didn't make it. However, some of the greatest views I've ever seen. We met an older couple out on one of the cliffs and talked for about 10minutes. The Irish are some of the nicest people in the world.
After Dingle, we drove to Galway on Tuesday. It has a great downtown area and great pubs. We went out and listened to some great Irish music.
Yesterday we drove from Galway here to Dublin. We drove around for a good hour or two trying to find a cheap place to stay. Dublin doesn't exactly have the nice grid-like streets you find in Manhattan. Tim throw the map into the back seat more than once in disgust. So for the first 2 hours, Dublin defeated us....but Tim and Tom's bodacious journey would not be put down, and eventually we found a nice little bed and breakfast. Great success!
Today we are headed to the Guinness brewery. Tomorrow we head to Belgium. So I will end my first blog on that note, of to get my complimentary Guinness! It's a great day for a Guinness.

2 comments:

Marian O'Hagan said...

Great blog, Tom. And I definately can relate to tim's left vs right. Dad just tells me to turn opposite of the way I think I should go. Sounds like you guys are having a great time!! Lots of love Mom

DUFF said...

I will post on Tom's entrys and not Tim's. Oddly, I know that this will bother Tim. Anyhow, this is great guys. I love the updates and the stories of the adventure. I just want the sordid and depraved parts of teh journey thoug. I could care less if you two "found a nice B&B for the night." I wanna know what happened in said B&B. Love the updates (again) and I am living vicariously through you guys.