Monday, April 16, 2007

I want to hallucinate dammit

This is Tom. I heard someone say my title while in Amsterdam. Pretty much sums up the place. So last I posted, we were in Ireland. On Thursday morning we flew to London, and as tim had pointed out, the plan was to go to Dover, England and then take a ferry to belgium, but we ended up in france. However, i must address the train situation in london.

We land in London at about 930 am and walk over to the train station. We buy two tickets to Dover. The guy tells us what platform to go to and we get there, sit done, and wait 15 min for our train. Now in Timmy's defense, there was a train that sat for a few minutes before leaving. But mind you, we are in a different country and since Timmy boy has never been to London, he certainly has never taken a train there, and you'd think he'd make GETTING ON the train a priority during this first trip. So...train pulls up, we both pick up our bags I walk on first Tim, I thought, was following. I get on the train, set my bag down, and turn to say something to Tim, BUT...no Tim. I turn to see 2 things. 1.Tim standing on the platform taking a picture of the train. 2. The doors of the train closing. I could not have been more shocked. We pulled away and I was speechless. It was sort of hilarious. I laughed most of my way to the next stop. I must admit, it has been nice, cause if Tim gives me a hard time about anything Ive always got "Dude, you missed a train cause you were taking a picture of it!" in my back pocket.

So we ended up making it to Calais, France. Awful, awful place. We stayed a couple hours and then went to Lille, France. That was a great city. We went to an Austrailian bar(cleverly named "Australian Bar") and met some locals who took us to a gothic underground bar.

Friday moring we headed to Amsterdam. Sunday we left Amsterdam. What happens in Amsterdam, stays in Amsterdam. Ill just say that Tim and Tom behaved themselves.

Then yesterday we boarded a train for Brussels. We made it to Antwerp and then the train, and us, started back toward Amsterdam. Apparently connections and changing trains aren,t pertinent info that train people give out when asked "How do Tim and Tom get to Brussels?" And yes, we do refer to ourselves in the 3rd person while here on our bodacious journey. So we got ourselves turned around and actually went to Brugge, Belgium instead.

Brugge is an old gothic town with really cool architecture and great beer made by monks. We found a place to stay and headed out for some Belgium beer. We found a bar to our liking and had some nice dark monk made belgium beer. We started talking to a young couple from a small town in Belgium. We asked them why they were drinking coke instead of this fine beer and the guy told us he had kidney surgery and wasn't really supposed to drink. So I mention I am/almost am a doctor. Ten minutes later, there is some comotion behind us and we see some guy laying on the ground with people qround him. So the guy were with yells in his broken English, "This guy here is a doctor!" My thoughts were no no no, shut it. It was like the Seinfeld scene "Is anyone here a marine biologist?" Not only am I new to this doctor thing, but these people only speak Flemish and Ive had quite a few of Blegiums finest brews in me. So I walked over and luckily an ambulance pulled up a couple minutes later.

The rest of the night got blurry. This belgium stuff is strong. The short version of this story is that around 3am while on our way home and eating fries and mayonaise, I decide I need to make a phone call and announce this to Tim. From what we remember, Tim felt this was not in Tim and Tom's bodacious journey's best interest and he said no, but i go anyway and find myself in a tiny shop were Apu gives me a phone to use. I call for about 45min and then start talking to apu who invites me in the back of his shop where there is a living room and his wife. He busts out some johnny walker whiskey and we have some and all talk for about and hour. After about 10 min a customer comes in and apu goes to get up and i say no apu, I got this one. So go out and start working the counter and register. I couldn,t read the stuff so I just chqrged people whatever I thought was good. It was pretty hilarious thinking about it. So at about 4am I say i have to leave and ask apu what i owe for the half bottle of johnny, the 45 min internqtional phone call, and the pizza I ate there. He says for you my friend, dont worry about it. Again hilarious. So I stumble back home and all was well.

Well I cant type anymore, so more to come from tim and tom's bodacious adventure later. so long.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I definitely need to take a trip to Brugge. Not because of the historic architecture or the fact that it's beautiful or anything like that...just to meet Apu in person

DUFF said...

Tom, tell Tim that his post made me laugh out loud. This story has to become a movie. It is way more intricate and funny than Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Really all you need to cap of the journey is to ride a cheetah and Doogie Howser. - Keep up the good work doctor.