Thursday, May 3, 2007

Alexander the Greatest Giannikoulis

(Tom) First off, my apologies to the hundreds of people who have emailed/called/telegraphed asking why I havent posted lately. Greece and Rome have kept me busy. I shall begin with Greece.

Let me start by noting that Alex Giannikoulis is the man! We pull in Thursday night/Friday morning at like 4am. Tim covered the part where we are driven out to the middle of nowhere by some old man driving at least 3oo miles an hour. Abandoned buildings everywhere. Seconds after I had made my peace with God, we pull up to what looks like his house, but turns out to be a really nice little hotel.

Friday we head to the airport to meet this Alex kid. I had high expectations because on at least 10 occasions thus far on the trip, Tim would spontaneously laugh at seemingly nothing and when I would ask what's so funny, he'd respond. This Alex kid from Greece is hilarious, I cant wait to get there. So we meet Alex. First words out of his mouth are "BODACIOUS!!" Good start. Then before grabbing a taxi, he tells us to wait a second so he can say goodbye to a few ladies he met on the plan. 10 minutes in, and I like this Greek kid. We head back to his place. A 4 story palace owned by the Giannikoulis's. Alex lives alone in the penthouse while about 37 of his cousins share the bottom three floors. The building has balconies that wrap around it 360 degrees. Tim and I each get our own room with a balcony that views the hills of Greece.

Next we head out for coffee. I was hesitant about this one. Coffee? I can get coffee in Manhattan on any corner. But this coffee place sits on the Aegean Sea. Not bad.

Next we go home and get ready to go out for some Greek food, then some Greek nightlife. Tim and I didn't order a single thing the entire time there. We'd get to a restaurant and Alex would ask "Anything you guys dont like?" Tim would say nope and I say as long as there is no salad or vegetables Im good. He'd then bust out some Greek to the waitress and the next thing I know there are Gyros everywhere. I swear, everytime they brought out this stuff I heard a choir of angels singing. After food we head out to a club in Athens. We walk up some stairs to a nice little club with a big balcony. This time the view was the Parthenon. Pretty cool. Tim and Tom conversed to one another while Alex talked to maybe every Greek girl in the place. Did I mention this guy is the man in Greece! Oh, then Tim was ready to throw down with the bartender who would not accept his 100 Euro bill. Things get blurry after that, but I do remember more food somewhere and finally strolling home as it was getting light out.

The next day I announce, "I had an AWESOME time last night." Alex responds with, "We know you had an awesome time. I think the entire town knows you had an awesome time!" We then headed out down the Southern coast to Sounio where we saw an acient temple in honor of Poseidon. Along the way we were versed on Greek History by Alex the Great. Tim keeps interjecting with stats about the Great Pyramid but Alex keeps us focused on the Greeks. Then we make our way to the Giannikoulis resort. This is a small piece of land with a vineyard, a small house, outdoor stove, and every fruit tree you can imagine. A bunch of Alex's aunts and uncles were there. Tim and Tom were the only non Greek speakers present. As we picked fruit, threw the football around, and relaxed, the aunts cooked us a feast of lamb. As an aside, while the Greeks may know food, architecture, futbol(thats soccer people), and ouzo, Alex showed us they have not mastered American football. Tim at receiver, Tom as QB, and Alex doing his best Deion Sanders impression:
Tom: what do you want to do
Tim: how bout i just run straight ahead and you throw it as far as you can.
Tom: Sounds good, ready break.
TOUCHDOWN!!!!
In Alex the Great's defense, we did have a half a foot on him. I had about 30 pounds on him too and Tim had at least 70.(wow im funny)
We then had a great meal and drank wine made right there from the vineyard. In the background Alex's uncles played backgammon with the competive style of an O'Hagan Turkey Bowl.
That night, it was Greek nightlife again. Vodka was the poison and Timmy was the target. This time the club was on the beach. They bring out a bottle of vodka and a bunch of mixers and Tim announces " can't they just bring us a case of beer."

Sunday we toured Athens. Then we headed to a futbol(soccer) game where we were honorary invitees to play. We could not have looked more out of place. Two big English speaking guys with no soccer garb whatsoever. Only Alex speaks English as well. The game starts and I wasn't sure how I was doing, but all I know is that by the end of the 1st half, the Greeks kept yelling Pelé everytime I touched the ball. My legs are still sore 4 days later. And as Tim stated, the American boys accounted for half the offense in the great victory. Oh, and if anyone finds themselves playing a pick up game of soccer in Athens, be warned. Apparently pulling your shirt over your head, sticking your arms out like wings while taking a victory lap and screaming GOOOOAAAAALLLLL after you score is "poor sportsmanship". Whatever.
Monday it was site seeing for Tim and Tom. We saw the parthenon and other ruins. Very impressive. Very large. Very old. And then Alex the Great took us off to the airport.

All in all, I have made several observations about Greece and Alex the Great Giannikoulis.
1. He will most certainly rule all of Athens shortly
2. Impossible to take a bad picture in Greece
3. Every single female between the ages of 19 and 40 knows of Alex the Great Giannikoulis.
4. Greek gyros may actually rival Chicago pizza for greatest food on Earth.
5. I will be headed back soon.

I now sit in Rome and Tim and Tom will head to Barcelona tonight. I will document Rome next. Until then.

No comments: